Sunday, 26 January 2014

It's been a while

It's been a while since I blogged. Just feeling a bit uninspired. We're all still under the weather and david has been working a ton so nothing too exciting going on here. 
David went to edmonton and the truck broke down (have I mentioned that I hate his job?) so he was gone longer than usual. Henry decided to keep me on my toes by slipping in the bathroom and hitting his head on two shelves, the scale and finally the tile floor on his way down. He wasn't too phased by it all but the bump and bruise was very dramatic. 

Henry showing off his first bruise. 



It really looks worse than it was. He is so pale that every little bump and scratch looks so bad!  I think he must have super sensitive skin. 

Daddy finally got home from work and we celebrated by going skating for the first time. I thought Henry would maybe tolerate it. I really couldn't see that being dragged around on ice skates could be that much fun but he LOVED it! I just watched (as I can't skate) while David and Henry whipped around and around the rink. It was quite the sight to see such a little guy out there. He had all the ladies ogling him and his adorable-ness.  We rented the smallest skates and helmet they had (which were still huge on him) and he was surprisingly steady when walking in his skates. 

Getting ready (he had to wear his toque under his helmet to get it to even kind of fit)

They gave him a little shopping cart to push around (which he couldn't do) but he liked playing with it 


Relaxing on a skate break



Now people have been commenting (sometimes rather aggressively) that Henry needs a hair cut. It hurt my mommy heart to think about cutting off his beautiful baby locks but to be honest I could see his hair was getting a bit nasty.  Some hair he has from newborn-hood, so it was getting pretty long and he still has some pretty sparse/ bald areas. This made for a rather patchy look. Also everyone thinks he's a girl!  I blame this on his fine delicate features and angel face...but to be honest the long hair wasn't helping. 
So this morning Henry woke up at an ungodly hour and after some parental jostling I got up and let David sleep in. In this sleepy, heavily caffeinated state I decided to TRIM just the longer bits of Henry's hair while he was sitting so nicely in his highchair. I underestimated the level of difficulty involved in trimming, with scissors, a squiggly baby's hair. 

The stylish (all be it patchy) hair cut mommy gave Henry. 


I will admit it wasn't great but I had every intention if returning to the job to even it out once daddy woke up and could provide an extra set of hands. 
Well David woke up (a bit grumpy??) and was shocked and horrified that I had not only cut his sons hair without consultation (it was only a trim!) but that I had done such an aweful job. He got out the clippers and buzzed it. 


It looks aweful (sorry David and Henry but it's the truth). As previously stated Henry is pale...like otherworldly pale, and his hair is light and fine. Cut that pale boys light, fine hair short and he looks sick...like sickly sick, not cool sick. 

The finished product. 



He looks SO different. It is very unnerving to not recognize your own child. I am still getting used to this little buzzed head running around. 
To be fair he seems to love it. And I think with a couple weeks of growth it could be ok. In the mean time I am watching YouTube tutorials on stylish at home boys haircuts. With my matleave over, austerity measures are kicking into overdrive and with another little boy in the way I see plenty more at-home haircuts in our future. Hopefully with a bit of practice we can achieve something slightly more stylish than the sheep shearing that went on today. 



No comments:

Post a Comment