Monday, 2 June 2014

the one where I complain about a sick grumpy Henry

Henry is sick again.
If a very confusing and unclear way. 

It allllll started a couple months ago when Henry dropped a laptop on his toe (don't judge me). He got a bit of a bruise and cut on his big toe but after a few tears he got over it and I didn't think much of it. 
Fast forward a couple weeks and it's infected (don't judge me....is beach/ swimming/ barefoot season) 
We went to the dr who prescribed a quick course or oral antibiotics. 
After about 4 doses of this new antibiotic Henry was up with an INSANE fever, a splotchy red torso and vomiting. I called 811 (our nurse hotline) an they said that vomiting and fever was listed as a possible side effect of the meds and I should take him to a Dr ASAP. We did a walk-in clinic the next morning and the woman said the toe was less concerning than the possible reaction so we should stop the antibiotics.

Done.....not done

2 days later Henry is still crazy feverish and misserable. BACK to the walk in clinic to the same Dr who looks in his ears and throat and declares he has strep throat (and probably NOT an adverse reaction the the meds). Henry is prescribed more (but different) antibiotics for the strep and she does a quick throat swab. 
The next day we go see our GP (who is completely amazing and I love) just to follow up because I feel like we have been bouncing all over the place. 
She agrees that it was def not a reaction the the antibiotics (and implies that whoever told is that is a dum-dum) but reveals that Henry's throat swab came back negative for strep. 

BLARGH!!!!

She says it could be a false negative (these things happen) or it might be mono (sore throat and puss filled sores in throat are symptoms also).  

So we are assuming it's strep mostly because the test for mono is a blood draw (ick) and even if it is mono there isn't much that can be done. 

3/4 of the way through the antibiotics and the fever is gone but Henry is still a pretty grumpy baby. I'm starting to worry it isn't strep :(

In case you have forgotten I am due....like tomorrow!

Henry...bless his sick little heart....has been a total pain in the butt for like 2 weeks.  REFUSES to sleep in his bed.  David or I have been having to nap and goto bed with him at night if we have any hope of him sleeping.  He is tossing and turning, taking short naps, is SO grumpy and whiney.  I know hes sick and probably feels like garbage so I try to cut him slack but it has been going on for SO long.

I really need my sweet boy to be back to his sweet ways by the time this baby arrives.


sick snuggles :(


aaaaaand then he noticed the camera and mustered a smile.



2 comments:

  1. I'm sorry Henry's been so sick! Hopefully everything gets sorted out soon and he starts feeling better. Bringing a new baby into a sick household isn't much fun (trust me). Nor is it much fun to have a sick baby (Henry's still a baby, too, right? I hope so because I'm still calling my two-year-old a baby).

    Healthy vibes your way! And good luck with delivery if you haven't done so already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Nancy! still no sign of baby...fingers crossed soon.

    ReplyDelete